Covenant Canadian Reformed Teachers College offers three programs of study: Two full-time diploma programs in preparation for a teaching career in Reformed Christian schools, and one part-time professional development certificate program for practising teachers.
For admission to the two-year program leading to the Diploma of Education, applicants must minimally hold a pass- or honours undergraduate degree from an accredited university (e.g., Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science).
For admission to the three-year program leading to the Diploma of Teaching, applicants must hold a secondary school diploma qualifying them for university entrance.
Practising teachers interested in attending certificate courses are encouraged to contact the College.
Diploma Level Expectations
The programs leading to the Diploma of Education and the Diploma of Teaching provide the student with a firmly principled, soundly theoretical, and highly practical teacher education program. In structuring its Diploma Level Expectations (DLEs), CCRTC follows the Ontario Qualifications Framework (OQF) determined by the Ontario Ministry of Colleges and Universities under the following six headings:
- Depth and breadth of knowledge
- Knowledge of methodologies
- Application of knowledge
- Communication skills
- Autonomy and professional capacity
- Awareness of limits of knowledge
The rationale for these expectations includes the need to be able to compare academic credits from one institution to another. CCRTC’s DLEs apply the OQF in a manner that reflects the College’s mission, ethos, values, and culture.
DIPLOMA OF EDUCATION - Two-Year Program
- Bible Study: Survey of Old and New Testament 1 (EDU 108)
- Church History 1: From Pentecost to Renaissance (EDU 104)
- Church History 2: From Renaissance to Revolution (EDU 105)
- Church History 3: From Revolution to the Present Including Developments in North America (EDU 106)
- Church History 4: From Pentecost to the 19th Century (EDU 107)
DIPLOMA OF TEACHING - Three-Year Program
- Survey of Old and New Testament 1 (DT 101)
- Survey of Old and New Testament 2 (DT 102)
- Reformed Doctrine: Survey of Reformed and Presbyterian Confessions (DT 103)
- Church History 1: From Pentecost to the Renaissance (DT 104)
- Church History 2: From Renaissance to Revolution (DT 105)
- Foundations of Reformed Ethics and Ethical Standards of Practice (DT 507)
- Church History 3: From Revolution to the Present Including Developments in North America (DT 106)
- Science and Technology (DT 410)
- Mathematics (DT 407)
- The Arts: Visual Art (DT 401)
- French as a Second Language 1 (DT 402)
- French as a Second Language 2 (DT 403)
- Language Arts: Reading (DT 404)
- Language Arts: Writing (DT 405)
- The Arts - Music (DT 408)
- Physical Education and Health (DT 409)
- Social Studies: History and Geography (DT 411)