Covenant Canadian Reformed Teachers College offers three programs of study: Two programs in preparation for a teaching career in Reformed schools, and one professional development program for practising teachers, the Certificate of Reformed Education Program.
For admission to the two-year program leading to the Diploma of Education, applicants must minimally hold a pass- or honours undergraduate degree from an accredited university (e.g., Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science).
For admission to the three-year program leading to the Diploma of Teaching, applicants must hold a secondary school diploma qualifying them for university entrance.
Practising teachers interested in attending certificate courses are encouraged to contact the college.
Diploma Level Expectations
The programs leading to the Diploma of Teaching and the Diploma of Education provide the student with a firmly principled, soundly theoretical, and highly practical teacher education program. In order to give structure to this commitment, the College patterns its diploma level expectations on the Guidelines for degree level expectations developed by the Ontario Council of Academic Vice Presidents (OCAV, 2005/2007). Course syllabi reflect the categories identified by the OCAV and courses are designed to help students meet the objectives for:
- Depth and breadth of knowledge
- Knowledge of methodologies
- Application of knowledge
- Communication skills
- Awareness of limits of knowledge
- Autonomy and professional capacity
DIPLOMA OF EDUCATION - Two Year Program
DIPLOMA OF TEACHING - Three Year Program
- Survey of Old and New Testament 1 (DT 101)
- Survey of Old and New Testament 2 (DT 102)
- Reformed Doctrine: Survey of Reformed and Presbyterian Confessions (DT 103)
- Church History 1 - From Pentecost to the Renaissance (DT 104)
- Church History 2 - From Renaissance to Revolution (DT 105)
- Foundations of Reformed Ethics and Ethical Standards of Practice (DT 507)
- Church History 3 - From Revolution to the Present Including Developments in North America (DT 106)
- Science and Technology (DT 410)
- Mathematics (DT 407)
- The Arts - Visual Art (DT 401)
- French as a Second Language I (DT 402)
- French as a Second Language II (DT 403)
- Language Arts - Reading (DT 404)
- Language Arts - Writing (DT 405)
- The Arts - Music (DT 408)
- Physical Education and Health (DT 409)
- Social Studies/History and Geography (DT 412)